Based on survey results from our families (141 respondents), the vast majority of families do not find it urgent to pick up student belongings and less than 10% of the families shared that it is Very Important to pick up student belongings. More than 10% of the families reported that their students have medication, inhalers, EpiPen, or glasses left at school. Most families find it to be an unnecessary risk to come to school to pick up student belongings as long as student belongings remain in the classrooms and can be retrieved on a future date when it is safe again to come to school.
The results were very informative for the amount of resources that we need to dedicate to providing essential campus access during the pandemic. We do have students with meds and students who are not returning back Carver (moving or going to middle school). Based on your input and the input from our teachers and staff, here is the plan for returning materials and retrieving student belongings.
Carver Return-and-Retrieve Plan
- Parents and guardians of students leaving Carver (moving or going to middle school) will return any textbooks, library books, and instructional materials in the bin outside the Front Office anytime until May 18th. If you need a reminder of the books that were checked out from the Library, please email Mrs. Osegueda at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you need info about classroom books or textbooks that need to be returned, please contact your child’s teacher. TK-4th Grade students not leaving Carver can hold on to borrowed materials.
- Teachers have scheduled to come to Carver from May 4th through May 22nd to pack student classroom belongings and store them in plastic bags. Teachers will securely place student name labels on each bag. Teachers will leave the packed bags inside their classrooms for future retrieval when school opens again. Unless teachers have asked for volunteer help, please do not come on campus to meet with teachers when they come in to pack their classrooms.
- For 5th Grade students, Mrs. Divney (email@example.com) is coordinating with 5th Grade teachers to schedule dates and times for 5th Grade parents to come to campus to pick up student belongings. 5th Grade families are not required to come in to pick up the belongings. Any 5th Grade belongings not picked up will be stored in the teacher's classroom over the summer. Middle school students can return in the future to pick up their belongings once it is safe to open school.
- For students with medication left at school, please see Principal Lin’s email sent directly to the respective parents and guardians on May 5th, Subject: “Carver Medication Pickup” for detailed instructions. Mrs. Hernandez (firstname.lastname@example.org) will be in the office on 5/11th, 5/18th, and 5/26th to help families pick up student meds. Families are not required to pick up the meds. Carver will send the meds to the District Nurse's Office over the summer if the meds are not picked up. This is because the District is usually staffed in the summer. The meds will be returned back to Carver School once it is safe to open school.
- For Grades TK-4th students who are not returning back to Carver, please schedule pickups with Mrs. Divney (email@example.com) in advance. The bags will be brought to the Front Gate at the scheduled time for you to pick up.
- The vast majority of student belongings will remain in this year’s classrooms until it is safe to open school. If you absolutely need to pick up your child’s belongings, please contact Mrs. Divney in advance (firstname.lastname@example.org) and she will come in to retrieve your child’s belongings from the classroom for you to pick up from the Front Gate.